A forum for gays & lesbians who love to cruise

Canadian
Topic Author

Friends of Dorothy?

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:52 pm

Having recently returned from two consecutive South Pacific cruises from Sydney (18 days on Explorer of the Seas), I feel that although RCL is not overtly homophobic, they could do a lot more to enhance LGBT cruisers' experiences.  It was through a Meet Me On Board forum that I knew to look for information about the "Friends of Dorothy" get together on a card on the board by the Guest Services desk.  Nothing was listed in the daily Cruise Compass.  The location and time mentioned on that card (the R Lounge at 4 pm) is in a very heavily populated area adjacent to the Royal Promenade.  On the first cruise, there were 6 of us at the get together, several of whom were traveling together.  On the second cruise, I was the only one at the meeting.  It didn't help that there was no sign indicating in what part of the lounge we would meet; is it assumed our 'gaydar' would allow us to identify each other?  

I feel that younger LGBT travelers as well as those not from North America, might not recognize the term, "Friends of Dorothy".  I really feel a more appropriate term at the very least should be: "LGBT/Friends of Dorothy".  In addition, this meeting should be held in a more quiet area of the ship, like one of the piano bars, with a sign indicating the exact location and preferably with a facilitator from the Cruise Director's staff, at least for the first day or so.  I understand that RCL holds this get together in a bar (to encourage those who wish to socialize while having a drink), but there are several other bars that are a little less congested at 4 pm, like the Schooner Bar. 

B777Nune

Re: Friends of Dorothy?

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am

This must vary from ship to ship with Royal.  We've traveled on Liberty OTS three times in the last 12 months.  There's is a LGBTQ event daily at R-Bar.  IT's printed in the Cruise Compass.  It is posted as a LGBTQ meetup like every other affinity group that might me interested in mixing and mingling.  

Canadian
Topic Author

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:21 am

B777Nune wrote:
This must vary from ship to ship with Royal.  We've traveled on Liberty OTS three times in the last 12 months.  There's is a LGBTQ event daily at R-Bar.  IT's printed in the Cruise Compass.  It is posted as a LGBTQ meetup like every other affinity group that might me interested in mixing and mingling.  

What is the turnout there like?  If in the Compass they write LGBTQ as well as Friends of Dorothy at least more guys would understand what the group is about.

neill10

Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 am

I will definitely check out friends of Dorothy . However I heard that most of the socialization happens in the saunas. Though this could be on longer cruises. Mine is only for 5 days . I am leaving on Friday on Anthem of the seas. I am so excited. 

balkor2

Mon May 07, 2018 6:26 am

I too agree that there could be more done for the Friends of Dorothy :)
Recent cruises has posted the LGBTQ in the flier (compass) BUT when you go and look for the place ... didn't exist or anything :(

Otherwise ... we have had notes posted on our door to meet up but then there is no-one there too meet??? How strange