A forum for gays & lesbians who love to cruise

EUHunter
Topic Author

Livorno/Pisa

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 am

We will be docking at Livorno for Pisa. The excursions on offer are not only exorbitantly priced but only seem to offer 45 mins in Pisa with 2-3 hrs travelling time (there and back). Not my idea of a holiday!

I would like to hear from anybody who has done Pisa from Livorno on their own using public transport.

We like to meander around, sit and drink in cafes and soak up the atmosphere so are looking to spend 2 hrs miminum in Pisa.

markdale

Re: Livorno/Pisa

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:28 am

EUHunter..

My husband and I have been to that area of Italy several times and we would suggest consideing another choice. A 2-hour bus trip is crazy as the train from Livorno to Pisa is only about 20 minutes and then it's about 1/2 hour (easy) walk to the Tower. It's great to see the Leaning Tower and the surrounding buildings but other than that, Pisa isn't a city that calls me back. I've heard this from several people. 

A real gem in that area is the small town of Lucca.  If you haven't been to Lucca, it's a must. It is an old walled town where you can actually walk or bike on top of the wall which is a park setting. The food and shopping are amazing (although we are not shoppers when we travel) If you do some google searches on Lucca, you'll see what an amazing town it is. To get to Lucca, you would take the train north to Viareggio (a summer beach town like Daytona Beach...also the largest gay beach in Italy) and transfer to Lucca. Lucca is usually the first stop by train after you leave Viareggio. It's an easy walk into the walled city of Lucca from the train station.  Below is a blog post that give some day option trips from Livorno.

Have a GREAT trip and Buon Viaggio!!!!

https://blog.meetmeonboard.com/2017/03/day-trips-port-livorno-italy/

EUHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:59 am

thank you for your post! it was a nice reply and I am grateful. 

it was always a childhood dream to visit Pisa so this is why we have booked this cruise so don't really mind about what else there is (or isn't !) to see and do LOL 

Lucca sounds like a lovely place and maybe next trip we are out that way we will pop in and visit. Thank you for the recommendation. 

As the train is only about a 20 minutes journey to Pisa from Livorno, do you remember how easy it is to get to the Livorno train station?

Thanx
S

markdale

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 am

I get the 'childhood dream' since seeing the Leaning Tower is a must for most people. I thoroughly enjoyed see it and getting some amazing photos. Make sure you climb to the top!  

We took a bus from the port to the train station. Please don't hold me to this but I believe it was the #1 bus. It took about 15 minutes. You could also take a taxi.  In Italy, it's very important that you validate your train tickets BEFORE you get on the train. There are yellow machines by most tracks and throughout the station and you simply slip your ticket into the machine which will but the date/time stamp. When a conductor comes by and if you don't have your ticked validated, they have the right to give you a fairly large fine. Italians are very friendly so after you purchase your ticket, simply ask someone where to validate. Also, no need to wait in line to purchase, they ticket machines today are very modern and simple to use.

Buon Viaggio!  Mark

EUHunter
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:48 am

Thanx for the advice aboutthe train tickets!